History of The Brethren

The Brethren as a governing body was established by the original almshouse foundation deed of 1437 which gave twenty brethren legal status and a common seal and charged them with the election of a “master” (chairman) yearly from their number. Newly elected members paid an entrance offering of £5.00 and swore an oath to be “… faythfull and true in the affaires and busyness appertyning to thalmeshouse of St John the Baptist and St John the Evangelist founded in this Towne of Sherborne.”

At times the Brethren exercised considerable influence in the town. In 1669 when there was a general shortage of copper coinage the Brethren issued a ‘Sherborne Farthing for the Poor’ stamped with their mitre badge for the convenience of the poorer inhabitants. There were strong links with Sherborne schools and members are still involved with the administration of a number of other local charities.